Portugal has a Digital Nomad Visa and foreign citizens can now enjoy the sun, the beaches, and the amazing historical and natural vistas of Portugal while working remotely, running a business, or simply staying to appreciate and travel around this beautiful country.
The term "Digital Nomad" defines an individual with a job that is 100% remote and, due to the greater flexibility of this format, can move frequently from country to country and live in different places while working.
== There are two options to get a visa in Portugal for digital nomads
* Passive income holder
The first is for passive income holders, including pensioners, retired foreign citizens, or other individuals who rely on stable income from sources such as movable property, real estate, intellectual property, or financial investments.
The second option is for digital nomads themselves. This option is available to professionals who work remotely outside of Portugal, including those who work for an employer, engage in liberal occupations, or run their own businesses.
== What documents for visa application?
To obtain a visa in Portugal, there are several requirements that must be met. These include:
* A valid passport from a non-EU country
* A Portuguese tax ID number (NIF)
* A bank account in Portugal
* Completion of the application form
* Two identical passport-sized photos with a blank background that clearly show the applicant's face
* A Criminal Record consultation application through the Portuguese Foreigners and Borders Service (SEF)
* A clean certificate of criminal records issued by the applicant's home country or by a country where they have resided for more than one year
* Proof of sufficient funds to cover the planned stay in Portugal
* Evidence of adequate accommodation, such as a rental contract for a period of 12 months
* Proof of health insurance coverage
* Documentation of income
* A motivation letter.
== What counts as passive income?
* rental income
* bank deposits
* bonds, securities and trade activities
== What counts as digital-nomad income?
When applying for a visa, contracts with employers and corporate clients are necessary. For entrepreneurs who are self-employed, they must provide income statements with at least one year of history and evidence that their income will remain steady for a minimum of two years. This evidence can be in the form of contracts or other supporting documentation. To verify income, bank statements from the previous year must also be provided.
== What income requirements?
To be eligible for the D7 digital-nomad visa in Portugal, applicants must demonstrate a passive or remote income of at least €705 per month for the past year. It is recommended to provide evidence of a higher income, as this can strengthen the case. The income must be legally documented and prove that it will continue for at least two more years.
Both passive and remote income can be used to support the application.
In 2022, the minimum wage in Portugal was €9,870 per year. For a spouse or parents, an additional 50% of the minimum wage is required if they are included as dependents. For children, 25% of the minimum wage is required.
== What proof of sufficient founds?
The official consular requirements for a Portuguese bank account are a minimum of €9,870. However, it is recommended to have at least €13,000 or more in the account to demonstrate the seriousness of your intentions and improve the likelihood of a favorable visa application outcome.
For a family of three, such as a main applicant, spouse, and 12-year-old child, the required amounts would be as follows: €9,870 for the main applicant, €4,935 for the spouse, and €2,467.5 for the child. Thus, a total of €17,272.5 should be shown in the bank statement for the family's visa application.
== Benefits of Portugal as a residence for digital nomads. Portugal has many attractive features for those considering it as a location to live, work, or start a business:
* Up to 300 sunny days per year with a soft climate
* Proximity to the ocean, providing opportunities for activities such as surfing, and access to seafood, beautiful beaches, and breath-taking views
* Low pollution rates due to the absence of heavy industry
* Housing is affordable and readily available
* Modern, open-minded government that supports new initiatives and development programs for startups and commerce
* Availability of low-interest loans for those seeking financial support
Money and taxation
* Portugal is one of the cheapest countries to live in the EU
* Newcomers benefit from flexible taxation and exemptions under the NHR regime
Medicare and life
* High-quality healthcare system in place
* High quality of life is present
* Majority of locals proficient in English and very friendly
* One of the lowest crime rates and highest security rates in the EU